On Saturday, May 22, 2004, 28 participants attended a Shrek 2 program that was held in the library's Community Room from 2:00-4:00 p.m.
The afternoon began with Children's Librarian Barb Scott presenting a Shrek Powerpoint presentation. This presentation consisted of a quiz on the first movie, plus a preview of the second movie and fun facts from the making of the first one! All those present proved to be "Shreks-perts" on the first film!
After that, five craft/activity tables were offered. They were:
1. SHREK PAINT STICK PUPPET--Shrek puppet shape was first colored and then adorned with large googly eyes. The puppet shape was then glued onto a paint stick.
2. GINGERBREAD MAN REFRIGERATOR MAGNET--The kits for these were purchased from Oriental Trading Company, originally to be tree ornaments. Sticky-backed magnet strip was purchased to put onto the back to make magnets.
3. SHREK COLORING PAGE--Participants received a picture of Shrek to color and turn in to Mrs. Scott. These pictures will be displayed along with pictures of the day's event.
4. SHREK TOILET PAPER ROLL CRAFT--Pieces were colored and cut out, then glued onto a toilet paper roll to assemble a Shrek character.
5. PAPER BAG PRINCESS PUPPET--A paper bag formed the basis of a princess character to which participants added facial features, a dress, hair, a crown, and arms.
After crafts, it was time for refreshments fit for an ogre! Cupcakes, Shrek M&Ms, green punch, sour cream and onion potato chips, and Shrek fruit snacks were served.
Drawings were held for three door prizes, two Shrek posters and one Shrek framed picture.
Each participant received a goodie bag to take home that contained a gingerbread man pencil, a green mood pencil that changed colors, and two Shrek stickers.