On November 27, 2004, nineteen participants enjoyed craft activities and snacks as part of a Polar Express program presented at the Bucyrus Public Library.
Children's Librarian Barb Scott began the program by presenting a short Powerpoint summary of the book, along with some biographical information on author Chris Van Allsburg and short summaries of some of his other books.
Participants could then move around to five craft tables set up in the library's community room and make the following crafts:
1. Polar Express Coloring Page--This table had a picture of The Boy from the book The Polar Express. Participants were to color it and turn it in before the end of the program to be placed on display with photos taken of the day's event.
2. Polar Express Jingle Bell Necklace Craft--Participants strung red beads and jingle bells on red lanyard to create their own jingle bell necklaces!
3. Reindeer Ornament Craft--Participants used 3 craft sticks to form a triangular reindeer head. A large red pompom nose and two googly eyes were then glued on. As a final touch, brown pipe cleaners were twisted around the top stick to form antlers. Yarn was added to make an ornament.
4. Beaded Spiral-Shaped Ornament Craft--These kits were purchased from Oriental Trading Company. Each bag contained wire, beads, and ribbon needed to complete the craft.
5. Decorate a Jingle Bell Craft--Participants were given a jingle bell shape printed on construction paper to cut out. They could color the background or leave it white. The table was stocked with pompoms (plain and glittery), glitter pens and glitter, foam shapes and foam stars. These items could be used to decorate the bell shapes in any way desired.
Christmas music was played while participants worked on the crafts and while snacks were enjoyed. Snacks consisted of iced Christmas cookies, animal crackers, pretzels, and punch. The snack table was decorated with candy canes and candy bells left from filling the goodie bags.
Drawings were held at the end of the program for prizes.
Each participant received a goodie bag at the end of the program that contained a candy cane and chocolate candy bells.