On February 28th, 2004, 11 participants gathered in the Bucyrus Public Library's Community Room to celebrate the birthday and the works of author Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Children's Librarian Barbara Scott began the program by welcoming participants and reading the book Laura Ingalls Wilder by Alexandra Wallner. Then, it was on to a Powerpoint quiz in which participants showed their knowledge of the Little House series of books.
Five craft tables were then offered:
1. Quilt Blocks--Participants made a simple nine-patch quilt block using construction paper and pictures cut from magazines from templates provided and then glued onto the construction paper. These were turned in to Mrs. Scott for use in a display with pictures of the day.
2. Let's Make a Shoofly Box--Participants cut, folded, and glued a small construction paper box with the shoofly quilt block on top.
3. Let's Make a Buzz Saw Toy!--Participants made a simple toy with a length of string and a button.
4. Corn and Beans Recipe Folder--Participants cut, folded, and pasted a small recipe holder that featured a quilt pattern on the front. Two pre-done recipe cards and two blank ones were then added.
5. Let's Make Fresh Butter!--Participants had the opportunity to make butter using whipping cream, baby food jars, and some music to shake by! Each got to enjoy a taste of their homemade butter on a cracker.
Refreshments of homemade gingerbread, popcorn, iced oatmeal cookies, and lemonade were served to all present.
A drawing was held at the conclusion of the program for Checkers game.